8 Ways to Maintain Your Commercial Roofing
A roof is a huge investment for any size structure, but it’s particularly costly for large-scale commercial buildings. In order to protect your investment, it’s important to properly maintain your roof. Be sure to inspect the roof in the spring and again in the fall before winter. If you need roof repair, be sure to have it done right away to avoid further damage. When you inspect your roof, follow these 8 steps to be sure you’re protecting your roofing investment.
How to Maintain Your Commercial Roofing
- Remove leaves and other litter from the roof. This material can collect water, which can damage your roof over time.
- Make sure drains are unclogged and functioning well. Test the drains to make certain they’re clean and don’t have any leaks.
- Remove leaves and litter from gutters. Just as you tested your drains, it’s important to test the gutters as well to make sure they’re functioning properly.
- Look for any damage on the roof, such as delamination or blisters. It’s possible that the roof will need to have a protective roof coating applied by a roofing company to prevent any further damage from occurring.
- Examine the roof membrane. Look for holes or separation at seams.
- Check the junctures of base flashings around walls, pipes and equipment. Make sure there are no separations or damage at the junctures.
- Check caulking and sealant for damage.
- Trim back any trees that are near the roof to prevent leaves from building up.
Read more about maintaining commercial roofing